Monday, December 22, 2008

Adventures: Boston

Since Boston's Logan was still such a mess there was a theory on the plane that we may not have missed our connections after all.

Upon deplaning at Logan the flight attendants told Patricia and  I that if we hurry to NorthWestern at terminal E (we arrived at Delta in terminal A)  we might still be able to catch the now 3 hr delayed flight, despite what Delta's automated flight info said.

The captain asked if passengers not on connecting flights could wait for the 20 of us who did to get off before they got up into the aisle. The minute the door cracked open everyone got up at once and stuffed themselves into the aisle.

I'd made no formal agreement with Patricia that we'd team up. Somehow she'd made it off before me and was waiting when I deplaned.  Logan was packed with disgruntled travelers. The race was on to get to Terminal E.

After asking 4 airport workers one finally provided coherent instructions - we had to catch Terminal Bus #11 outside by the taxis.

We ran down the escalator to the taxis. Of course buses 55, 42, 12, 16, and 9 showed up first. All going everywhere except to the lost terminal of E.

Finally 11 arrived and we jumped on. As it meandered thru 3 stops each at terminals A, B, C, and D, I thought for sure we'd miss the flight and I'd be sleeping on an airport bench, just like the holiday rituals I'd seen on the news all these years. Maybe I'd get on TV!

When the doors opened at Terminal E, Patricia and I sprinted the 1.5 miles thu the huge NWA area only to be told to "hurry up" to gate E2B, about 3.5 miles at the other end of the terminal. But first, we'd have to go thru security. Again.

Upon arriving at the gate a humorless agent reprinted our boarding passes. I was the last  person on the plane! Confronted by an NWA attendant who was also humorless, I was ordered to stow my bag asap so we could "take off".

We sat on the runway for another 2 hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment