Monday, December 22, 2008

Adventures: Delta is Incompetent

2 minutes before our scheduled boarding time Delta changed the gate from 28 to 1, on the other side of the terminal.

I helped the old woman to the new terminal. It took forever and when we got there we were last in one of 2 huge disorganized lines. The woman had been coughing since I met her, but now she was starting to have coughing fits so I went and got some water.

As we waited we made friends with a guy traveling from Dubai. He was totally not dressed for the weather. He wore a white cotton tunic suit and embroidered sandals with mother-of-pearl inlays. I wondered what he'd do when he got to Boston. Would he walk in the snow with his sandals or did he have mother-of-pearl embroidered booties in his carry on? I was getting tired.

The flight was delayed - 15 min, then another 15 min, then another. I was getting worried I'd miss my connection to Detroit.

One of the lines at the gate was for people from (I guess) that woman's earlier flight that got bumped and had no seat assignment. Tons of people; crying babies, sullen teens, baby boomers, foreigners. What a mess.

We finally got to board. The old woman did indeed have a first class seat (good for her) and looked really relieved and less tired. We said goodbye.

I sat next to a woman named Patricia who was trying to get to Detroit  and some sarcastic British guy who kept interjecting himself into my conversations with the woman and flight attendants. He kept saying "The problem with Americans is..." Many times during this flight I had to squelch the urge to belt him.

At the last minute Patricia and I tried to deplane because the attendants thought we'd missed our connection, But it was too late, and we ended up sitting on the runway for 90 minutes before finally taking off.

No comments:

Post a Comment