Monday, December 22, 2008

Adventures: Snow in Las Vegas

Again, anticipating an ocean of humanity at JFK airport, I played it safe and reserved off-airport parking ahead of time. 

I received the royal treatment from the attendants because I was the only new parker there.

Me and a foreign couple (I think from either Spain or France) rode the lot's bus to JFK.

I'd checked in online (and also prepaid Delta's exciting new $15 bag fee) so dropped off my luggage at the curb, tipped the skycap $3 and joked, "please make sure my luggage gets there."
"Yes ma'am, of course."
Unfortunately I didn't specify when the luggage should arrive.

Having hours to spare I got a soda and people-watched again. At one point I dozed off, and when I woke up I misread my watch and panicked because I thought the boarding time had passed. I got up and made my way towards a security guy who was lecturing an old lady. Apparently she'd been bumped from an earlier flight to Boston and was now on my flight, but she needed to call her son and let him know what was going on. She was pleading with the guy to let her use a phone, that the Delta person who promised this hadn't shown up. She looked disheveled, disoriented and really old. The security guy looked like he couldn't care less.

I offered my phone. She didn't know how to use it so I dialed, spoke to her son and gave him all the info.

As we sat waiting she told me she'd been flying around since yesterday. Started in Las Vegas, where she'd lived for 30 yrs. Apparently 2-inches of snow fell right before her flight, and since Las Vegas has no idea nor equipment to deal with the white stuff she'd sat on a plane for hours before the snow on the runway finally melted.

Then at JFK she'd boarded a flight to Boston, her final destination. Unfortunately Boston was in the middle of a huge snow storm, so halfway there the plane turned around and came back to JFK. She'd waited for 2 hrs and somehow secured a seat on my flight, firsts class, I think. She told me how circus-like Las Vegas gets when it snows. Apparently its snowed there 3 times in the past 30 yrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment